5/15/11

Time is Precious

One thing I have learned working in the real world? Time is precious. Where does the time go? And how do I get more "fun" time?

Yes, there are 168 hours in a week and that sure sounds like alot. Well, until you break it down. You spend roughly  1/3 of those hours working and another 1/3 of those hours sleeping (unless you are one of those lucky human beings who only need 5 hours to operate - there is barely enough coffee in the office to allow me weeks on end of only 5 hours a night...) That leaves you a 1/3rd of your time to do laundry, run errands, go to the grocery store, shower (its important) and get ready, commute to work... and you get the picture.

So what is the solution? We can't quit our jobs (well, I guess we can, but I am not recommending that one), We can't cut down on sleep (again, not my recommendation), We can't exactly stop time (but if you know how to, PLEASE let me know your tricks). All we can do is learn how to use our time more efficiently so that we have more "fun" and less "chore" time.

(1) Make lists. Same as the sticky note concept. If you write down what you need to do, you wont have to constantly be thinking about it to remember it. It frees up your mind to work effectively while at work or out with friends. If you write down what you need to do, you won't forget the important items. Along the same lines, if you make lists for the week you can avoid doing the same task twice. If you figure out meals for the entire week on Sunday, you can only have to go to the grocery store once a week rather than every other night.

(2) Prioritize. Not everything can be done today (and not everything will be done today). Figure out what is a HAVE to do and what is a want to do. You might have to iron your pants for work tomorrow, but you can hold off on washing your sheets two more nights.

(3) Do it now. I can't think of how many "productive sundays" I have laid in bed for an hour longer just thinking about what I needed to do that day.... and then crawled on my couch to watch a quit movie.. you know, to "wake up". By then a friend might call, and of course I would love to go shopping/lunch/movie/just about anything but be productive. Suddenly it is 10pm and I haven't even started my to-do list. Oh procrastination... you were my friend in college, but in the real world? I just don't have time for you anymore.

(4) Time Chunk. Let's say my room is a mess. I am one of those people who will start to straighten it, then take a shower, then straighten some more, then make a phone call, then maybe pick up one more thing, then run to the store. I am most productive when I put a few songs on grooveshark and say "I am going to clean until these three songs are done." The task is literally almost always done.... and in 1/4 of the time. Focus on what you are doing, and the job gets done.

(5) Combine certain tasks. This sounds like it contradicts (4), but stick with me. Some "chores" can be done while doing something you have to do anyways (stick with me while I try to explain). Let's say I am walking to lunch to meet a friend. While I walk, I might as well call the front office to fix a leaky facet. Or (by making lists) I can prepare ahead of time so that I am taking my checks to the ATM inside the grocery store rather than making a separate trip to the bank later. Simple, yet effective. (Also sometimes easier said than done for my frazzled self)

(6) Find your optimal productivity-time. My friend Kelly will get up at 5am (yes, that sounds painful to me too) to do chores and work out before work. She has 3 additional hours every morning that I snooze through. She claims that after work she is absolutely unproductive. As for me? I would rather run my errands on the way home from work than pull myself out of my bed a moment before I absolutely must. Figure out what works for you and live by it.

(7) Step away from the computer. (after you read my posts of course!) I can be completely ready to go to bed and then spend 2 hours surfing blogs, chatting with friends, responding to emails, reading celebrity news (guilty pleasure, don't judge), etc. 2 hours! I would rather spend that time working out, meeting up with friends, getting a good night sleep. And those 2 hours sure do add up overtime. If might be the TV for you, or rockband, or another time eating vice.

These tricks might not work for everyone. And if you are one of those people who already have a great system? please share with me! It is a never ending struggle for me... find more time so I can "play" more and "work" less.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Haha I wish i was able to spend 1/3 of my week working. I think i spent 45 percent of my week working the past 3 weeks :(

    Nonetheless, I agree with you about procrastination, as we get older, I think I gets less acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe it's because I have a lot of down time at work, where I just simply have to BE at the office, but I don't actually have anything to do (like now), but running out of time to get everything done has never been much of an issue for me... but I think you've done a pretty good job with this list... it seems like really good advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lists, lists, lists. I also try to get most of my 'admin' things (bulk cooking, bill paying, filing etc) on my days off. I also would never remember anything if it wasn't for Google Calendar...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had a virtual pink and yellow highlighter in hand, I would put big round swirls around number three. By the time I stop obsessing over the thousands of things I should be doing or will have to do, I could have completed half of my Sunday to-do list.

    What I'm trying to do now is treat Sunday like a work day for household errands and chores. I don't let myself sleep past 9 a.m. Sounds rigorous to some people, but it is the only way I can make myself get going. Later, after I've finished most of my to-dos, I can take a nap stress-free. :) Great post!

    ProfessionGal
    http://professiongal.com/

    ReplyDelete