2/14/12

Just the three of us: Me, my Honey, and my Money.


Yes, I know I am single. (No need to comment on the bottom of the post. I get it. And if I didn’t get it? Valentine’s Day always makes sure to remind us single people out there.)

In honor of the holiday I want to shed some light on a topic that has become near and dear to my heart. The psychology of couples and their money. Here is why: I have a ton of friends getting married (and many that are not accountants). The divorce rate is over 50% and rising. The majority of marriage end due to money related reasons. How many friends could I help if I simply encouraged them to talk the money talk before the wedding/baby talk? People simply have different views on money. (I honestly think that this may be finally what I decided I may want to do with my life – so feedback is much appreciated)

Happy Valentines Day – Feel free to take my mini-test with your honey. Ideally I would be curious to have each person take the quiz separately and then compare answers and discuss (although, maybe you should take it on the 15th?)
  1. How do you feel about joint checking accounts vs. separate checking accounts?
  2. Do you share credit cards?
  3.  If your honey spends $100 for a new pair of shoes, do you get the spend $100 for a new pair of shoes?
  4.  If your honey spends $1000 in car repairs, do you get the spend $1000?
  5. At what dollar value do you need to run your purchase through your spouse? $10? $100? $1000? $10,000?
  6.  How do you plan to save for retirement? Kids? A house?
  7. Do you think its important to pay for your kid’s college? Do you want them to go to private school?
  8.  Do you believe in investing conservatively with lower pay out? Or would you rather take a risk and invest with a chance of a higher payout?
  9. If you can’t have everything: Would you rather have an expensive house, clothes, car, or vacation?
  10. How do you manage and maintain a “fun fund” – is it fair for one person to go on vacation without the other? Do you keep track? How do you make sure the other person doesn’t hold a grudge?
Food for thought. And really? This food for thought has way less calories than that chocolate you intend to eat tonight.

(Oh yea, and please feel free to email me with comments/questions/ideas – or to let me know how the conversation went with the test. malloryspigel@gmail.com. I can also put out a fire if this post caused one- OR LEAVE A COMMENT - If you are brave)


1 comment:

  1. 1. shared - all the money goes to and comes out of the same place.
    2. We each have cards in our own names to build individual credit AND to get double the rewards on airline cards.
    3. Hubs only wears about 4-5 different pairs of shoes, so when they get worn out, he gets replacements, regardless. I probably wouldn't spend that much money on something like shoes out of the blue anyway...
    4. NO! Car repairs are necessary, not for fun.
    5. Around $100 for an individual item (not for groceries or household items)
    6. Retirement = 401k through employers with automatic paycheck credit. Kids = neither of us want one. House = bought one 2 months before we got married. used profits from sale of hub's first house for down payment on current one.
    7. G-d forbid we accidentally have a kid, of course we'll pay for his/her college. Our parents paid for both of ours. I went to private schools my whole youth, hub's only went to public, so we disagree. It will probably depend on how much the private schools are trying to extort from parents when our hypothetical, imaginary child gets to school age...
    8. I don't believe in the stock market at all. Currently we do low-risk because we don't have an excess amount of savings due to my lack of employment to do risky investments.
    9. Vacation?
    10. Two separate savings accounts - one for emergencies ONLY, one for fun stuff/vacations. Only time we do separate vacations is for bachelor party type outings, which are short, so money doesn't come out of the fun fund - while on separate trips, keep expenses as low as possible (i.e. don't pay for lap dances...

    ReplyDelete