1/17/11

Can Facebook get me fired?

The gap between social media and work? It may be smaller than you think.

Today I received and email from a friend (Trey) issuing a warning that should be shared. He had sent a work related email to a coworker through their email system. The email came with a picture of Trey's face that was pulled from his facebook profile. Turns out the iphone and the new blackberry will automatically sync work email and facebook and allow the receiver to view the sender's picture. Thankfully Trey's facebook picture was appropriate and the coworker was a peer. That being said, there is potential for embarrassment. How many times have people come home from a Vegas weekend and posted a fun picture to their facebook profile? I am not sure I want my fun Vegas weekend picture associated with my work.

The separation between social life and work life is getting smaller. After doing some research, I found an article at PCWorld that illustrates a case where the US court system rules it "okay" to fire an employee based on facebook. And if you work in an "at-will" state? You can be fired without question. Fox News reported today that Facebook is lowering its security (shocker) and allowing more third parties access to personal information (oh like pictures?).

What does this mean? Make sure you have appropriate pictures and some intense security settings and don't express your hate for your boss or the fact that you are extremely hungover at work all over facebook. Somethings are better left unsaid.


What do you think about facebook and work? When has facebook gone too far?Is it okay to be fired for your status update?

4 comments:

  1. I foresaw this problem coming a while ago, and have two facebook accounts, one with my real name and info that will come up if I'm ever googled, with a nice, normal picture of me, and run of the mill status updates... and another one, with my pseudonym, that I use for all non-work related networking, IE my blog, twitter, etc. ...I know that's probably a silly idea for a lot of people though.

    I think that facebook really ought to INCREASE it's privacy instead of allowing more third party access.

    I think its kind of ridiculous that we can now get fired for having a life outside of work.

    Good post! I found you on twitter, and I like your style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen a few friends who had two facebook pages. I honestly wasn't sure their reasoning behind it. I am thinking that it is definitely a smarter idea now. I have already decided to block all pictures besides my profile ones and the ones that I post myself.

    Thank you so much for the input and for following the blog! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah - this is scary stuff! I don't think you should be able to be fired for what you do outside of work, that's your private business - but you're right, the lines are becoming very blurred. I'm lucky to work at a place that doesn't care, but I know a lot of companies that are a lot more "corporate" and I can see them taking action in this manner.

    Awesome post Mal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on the fence about being fired over facebook. If you post something from your personal life during your personal time I do not think that you should get fired for it - even if you are drinking in a picture or having an otherwise good time. And quite frankly, I don't think I want to work for a company that snoops around my private life and has a problem with the fact that I'm of the legal age to drink and that I exercise that right during my free time. On the other hand, I understand someone getting fired for excessive facebook or social NOTworking during work hours. If the online social network gets in the way of a worker's productivity I think it's grounds for termination (or any decrease in productivity, whatever the cause).

    So, with that, I need to get back to WORK! And go rent "The Social Network"...GREAT MOVIE!

    Love you Mal!

    ReplyDelete