5/14/12

Porches get hit too

I think most 20-somethings know the feeling. The "I would look really great driving that car" feeling. The "I work hard and deserve a nice car" feeling. Why is there such an association with nice cars = success? (besides to obvious fact that you can't buy a nice car until you have plenty of money to throw into it?)

I would look great driving a Porsche Cayenne. That cute little cross-over. Probably a white exterior. Or perhaps a pearl? (Not that either colors are practical since I would have to also budget in a weekly car wash). I would ride in style and arrive in style. I mean, first impressions are everything right? It is amazing how we can justify material possessions. I'll give you a few of my own justifications:
  • I work hard everyday, I can afford to treat myself to a luxury item
  • I drive to work everyday. If I have to drive that much, I should enjoy the ride
  • I mean, someday I'll have kids and have to have a "Mommy" car. I deserve this.
  • A car doesn't go out of style as fast as a pair of shoes would
  • But, (Insert Name Here) drives a Porche/Lexus/Beemer/Audi. I should too!
  • It's an investment. (It's really not....)
  • I can finance it....
  • I live in Dallas - isn't a luxury car more of a need than a want here?
  • If I had a nice car, I would take better care of it.
Pretty good, huh? (Tempted to stop writing this post and go get myself one instead). But I don't drive a Porsche Cayenne. I drive a 2004 Toyota Corolla. It a couple strips of ducktape on the front bumper from an "instance" a year ago. It has a post-factory radio system that the previous owner installed which is nearly impossible to use. It has shiny "rims" which lends itself to the name my coworkers have lovingly given the car, "Ghetto Whip". (Or just GW for short). So what keeps me in my little Toyota Corolla?

Porches get hit too. I just picked up GW from the shop today. This time it wasn't my fault (impressive, if you know my driving record). A tornado put soft-ball sized holes in my back windshield. When you think about it, the tornado doesn't care if I was driving a GW or driving a Porche. Weather doesn't discriminate. That 16-year-old texting? They don't avoid a Porche just because it cost more. Infact, someone might hit me just BECAUSE I drove a nice car. If I get side swiped in the parkinglot? That sucks. But it would suck way more if I drove a Cayenne. 

DON'T IMPULSE BUY anything that costs close to your salary.  Be happy with what you drive. Be happy that it gets you from point A to point B and even has working A/C. (If you do drive a nice car, be happy and don't take it for granted.) If you want to drive a nice car, then do it... but take into consideration what your budget will no longer allow as a result of an expensive car purchase.

Need more help with those justifications? Try these:
  • Work hard everyday? Treat yourself to a $3 frozen yogurt instead.
  • Need to improve your drive to work?  Download some music off iTunes
  • Did you even remember the maintenance costs on that type of car?
  • Oh yea, and you can't buy the "cheap" gas anymore.
  • Want to invest? Buy a house. Or some mutual funds.
  • What if I move to New York/Boston/Chicago and no longer even need a car?
  • I would be terrified to leave my car in the garage... or park close to a store
  • Easy target for criminals (No one messes with the Ghetto Whip)
  • (Feel free to fill in your own)
  • Most importantly? Porches get hit too.
Moral of the story? Love the one you're with. Car that is.


1 comment:

  1. loving the one you're with is easier when she is audrey hepburn. :) nice job as always, mal.

    ReplyDelete