10/15/12

Blockbuster Blues

The neighborhood Blockbuster by my house closed down. I am sure many of you have experienced the same thing. This Blockbuster closed down almost a year ago - but I am still mourning the lost. (For the record, I hate when people use their blogs as a place to whine, but it IS my blog right? and you have free will to stop reading it and watch the latest Gangum Style remake video on youtube at free will). I simply miss the days of driving up to blockbuster and picking out a movie just for me. I had a method. I would walk the entire back wall and collect any titles I thought I would want to see... then decide. If it was a bad month I would wander aimlessly through the countless old (but cheap) movies.

Someday we will tell our kids "There was once a store that had movies from floor to ceiling and you could borrow any movie you wanted, read the back cover. You know, back cover, movies back then were physical DVDs and came in boxes. Too bad they went out of business because people were too damn lazy to go return the slightly overprice, but worth it for a better selection, movies." Man, I feel old. Is this what getting old feels like?

I have an issue committing to Netflix. You mean, I might not have instant gratification of my movie? And I have no idea how to do all the set up stuff. PLUS who wants to commit to HAVING to watch a movie or 2-3 each month to feel as though I got my money's worth. Watching a movie should NOT be a chore. (I know everyone and their mom has jumped on this bandwagon, but I'm still reminiscing about the glory days)

And redbox? who ever finds anything you really want to see in the super limited selection. And I get anxious when there are people in front of me that they are going to take the very last movie. Odds are, I will get stuck behind the world's slowest movie-picker-outer ever. AND you still have to return it the next day. Sometimes, I think "eh, its only a dollar" if it isn't convenient to return.... but then, after a week, I might as well have gone to Blockbuster.

Please, please tell me that someone out there also misses the golden years.

Oh Blockbuster, you will always remain in my heart and childhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment