10/22/12

Find Your Sports Mole

I'm not talking about a mole on your body that looks like a football. (Thats just weird). Everyone who is not a diehard sports fan should find their "mole" to give them the inside scoop what what is going on in the sports world. Sure, you can read some headlines (really good alternative if you are a loner) but sometimes getting a personal heads up allows you to have (1) knowledge on only things relevant to your needs - like a google alert (2) less falling asleep reading each sports article (3) the necessary bias.

Let me explain.

My friend Trey gives me the heads up on A&M sports news and knowledge. He alerts me if there is an article actually worth the read. (How can anyone keep UP with that stuff: Aggies, Cowboys, Rangers, Stars... and on and on - has anyone noticed that baseball games go on several time a week? That is a commitment!) Trey advises me not because I am a die hard sports fan (clearly), but precisely because I am not. I need JUST ENOUGH information to carry on a decent conversation at work/a wedding shower/my friend's boyfriend/ etc.

Last week, while working in New York, I was asked "So what do you think about A&M moving to the SEC?". (I secretly want to respond with: "What!? A&M moved to the SEC? Where have I been?" -- and then follow up with "I thought they were still in college station?") I was prepared, gave my cookie cutter answer that I have given 100 times. The thoughts have just enough of the correct bias (trey's bias) and I was able to maneuver through the conversation without standing there dumb founded.

You might think this is lazy. I think it is proper time management. Do the things you want to do and interest you, but without living fully under a rock.

Everyone should find their mole.


Remind me to buy Trey a shot.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention the Spurs...who is your San Antonio sports mole? I'm guessing it's probably/should be your Zach and/or your parents.

    ReplyDelete