1/2/11

The Post-Holiday Blues

Sunday night after a long holiday break. This could quite possibly be one of the most depressing moments. You just roll off of a long vacation with family, friends, presents, cake, and sleeping until 10am. Suddenly the break is over and you are back to waking up at 7am, putting on work clothes, and sitting at your desk for 8+ hours. I definitely have the work-blues. Don't get me wrong, I like my job (as I am sure many of you do), but I really like vacation more. Americans get an average of 17 vacation days a year. The French? 37.5. (37.5!? Au revoir- I am heading to France!) It doesn't matter how sad I am about getting back to real life, or how many statistics I look up about vacation days, the days of college 4 week winter breaks are over and I (as most of you) have work tomorrow. So what can I do? Make the best of it and try to fight the Post-Holiday Blues.

Ways to beat the post holiday blues when heading back to work:

1. Be thankful you have a job. It would be worse to NOT have a job to go back to after the holidays- appreciate this blessing
2. Get excited to reorganize your work life. It is a new year and you have a new opportunity to organize your desk and how you work at work. Get excited about how you are going to change your work life for the better and going back wont be so bad.
3. Make plans. It is easier to go back when you know you get to spend time with your work friends. Get excited to catch up with them.
4. Buy yourself some new work clothes. (Am I suggesting retail therapy? maybe, but hey, it always does the trick.)
5. Get a good night's sleep. Chances are you have quite a few emails awaiting your arrival and who knows what other work obligations. EVERYTHING seems better when you have slept. Instead of thinking about how much you don't want to go to work, just go to sleep and know that tomorrow will come ready or not.
6. Be motivated for a new routine. It is sometimes nice to have a routine, something that vacation doesn't provide for you.
7. Listen to some good music. If nothing else works, at least you will be sent off to post-holiday work in a good mood.

On that note, I am going to download some N*SYNC (legally of course) to my computer, layout my new shoes (Not sure what outfit I will wear yet, but I have my new work shoes ready for their debut), text Kelly about lunch, and I am off to get a good 8 hours of sleep. (let me suggest the same!)

2 comments:

  1. Way to see the glass half full Mallory! I'm trying, but New York is not making that very easy for me today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your blog! I feel you on #6 to get motivated for a new routine - a new year, a new routine :) Good luck with the blog and let me know what you think of mine!!

    ReplyDelete