1/19/11

Stress at work: Why aren't there support groups for this?

Okay, so there actually are support groups for this.. but then, who has time to join a support group?

I must have the most stressful job in the world (Or so I thought). I am an accountant. We are about to start "busy season" (we have a NAME for it?) where we will be working late hours (so what do you call the last 6 months?). Don't worry, we are ramping up into busy season (and ramping down my social life...).

Then I took a look at my closest girlfriends. The marketing major who has late nights preparing for a huge presentation for to a CEO. The first year teacher who stays up late with lesson plans and deals with disciplining highschoolers all day. The fitness instructor who is thrown into coordinating 6am bootcamps and has to cover weekend shifts. Welcome to the real world- where stress is the only common denominator.

We are going to have stress. The goal should be managing how we deal with it.

Unhealthy ways to deal with stress? smoking, drinking, overeating, undereating, making voodoo dolls of our bosses, taking it out on friends (who wont be friends much longer), turning to retail therapy (that diminishing bank account will just cause more stress).

Healthy ways to deal with stress?
1. Say No- Find your limit and don't take on more than you can handle.
2. When number 1 doesn't work? Make a to-do list. prioritize. and then tackle just one task at a time.
3. Exercise- They say it releases that endorphin that makes you happy. I say it keeps you for getting fat, which just adds another thing to stress you out. Besides, a good kickboxing class while envisioning your boss just might be the trick.
4. Eat well- "Feed the brain so it can work" & "Start the day with a good breakfast". Why is it that suddenly you get into the real world and you realize the lessons your mom taught you growing up were right all along?
5. Get some sleep- These ideas sound so obvious, but they are easier said than done. The days that I get more sleep? I tend to handle situations better.

And when all else fails? Take a personal day.


What do you do when you are stressed at work? Trust me... I'm open for suggestions!

5 comments:

  1. I talk to my friend Mallory on gchat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tip #3 made me laugh out loud (in a good way). it reminded me of legally blond when Elle Woods comes up with her reason why the lady didn't kill her husband. Exercise causes endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. happy people just don't kill their husbands

    -mario

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so fortunate to have a job with virtually no stress. Minor aggravations and annoyance is about as bad as it gets for me... but I'm told your local barman has the answer to your support group question :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you take a picture of me at work and put it on your blog?? LOL! Loved this post. I am definitely fan of the to do list, and I also use the reminder feature on my phone to remind me what has to get done! My best stress busting tip would be to go see a funny movie with a great friend!! It works every time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. I try to relax through any of my other hobbies - cooking, baking, music, running or just chilling out with a movie and snacks.

    ReplyDelete