12/28/11

Resolutions (Part 1): Realistic Expectations & Breaking Up

Sure, everyone has something they would improve about themselves (and if they don't? Well, they should try to work on being more "humble" then!) Whether it is remember friend's birthdays, lose that last 5 pounds (or 20?), pray more, or keep the house clean... there is always something.

 "New Year's Resolutions" always seems like there is a joke associated with the phrase. You know what I mean, the goal that only lasts until the end of week two. Or until your best friend's birthday and the smell of the cake is consuming your senses. Is it our lack of commitment to our resolutions? or is it just the resolutions themselves. But not this year. This year is going to be different.

While I am not the expert in resolutions (seeing as I have never made it to December and still remembered my resolution from the previous year, or neglected making them all together - not sure which is worse), I am going to spend the next few days really figuring out what makes a resolution a reality. Feel free to ignore the next few blog posts. Or? Take my challenge and join me in my resolutions to reality journey.

Realistic Expectations
"Dream Big" - a concept we have heard since the time we were little. But does dreaming big truly always help us? If the expectations are too big and become too unobtainable, we lose all motivation to reach for them. (I think the perfect goals are just barely out of reach). If I have the goal to reorganize absolutely everything in my apartment on a sunday the job will be come so daunting that I may not even get started. Let's say that I want to reorganize the apartment and then keep it clutter free. Instead of taking that huge task all at once, set realistic expectations. "I am going to clean under the bathroom sink this week. Next week I'll take on the dresser drawers. Or even next month?" Instead of "never having clutter" try to make the goal of cleaning clutter on sundays and wednesdays.

Breaking Up the Goals
Instead of saying "I am going to work out every day - or even twice a day", I KNOW that will not be possible. As soon as I miss those first few days, I will quit altogether and not even try. Setting a goal of 3-4 times a week? okay, that's doable. AND easier to stick to. (plus, I'll end up avoiding the weeks where I don't go to the gym at all). If I set mini-goals, they are easier to obtain and will keep me more motivated.

This year, I will NOT be setting myself up for failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment