12/29/11

Resolutions (Part 3): A picture is worth a thousand words

Sometimes I wonder where those "sayings" come from. Thankfully, I live in the age of Google - where knowledge is sitting at our finger tips (literally).

In this case "A picture is worth a thousand words" is attributed in modern times to Fred Bernard who (while trying to promote image ads instead of the words in 1921) stated that "A look is worth a thousand words". According to the Yale book of quotations "A look is worth a thousand words" is first seen in a New York Times Real Estate advertisement in 1914. Either way, A saying that is almost 100 years old must have some truth to it.

But I digress.

How does this relate to New Year's Resolutions? (Good question!) Instead of purely using the motivation technique of "writing down resolutions" (which, per "Part 2" is better than not writing them down at all) It is surely more beneficial to have a visual image of resolutions. Why is this? (1) How many times are we told to visualize our goals? It never fails that famous athletes talk about  visualizing their success - If you don't believe me, check out this article from College Sports Scholarships (2) It is a constant reminder of the goal.

I was talking to my good friend Kelli. This break we are going to make a "Dream Board" where you cut out pictures of your dreams and goals. This can work for resolutions to. Think about it. If I was going to reach into the freezer for some ice cream, and there is a picture of a Victoria Secret fashion model's abs staring back at me... would I really have that craving for chocolate still? (Okay, slightly bad example... chocolate almost always trumps all... but you get the picture - pun intended)

Find your motivation. Find a picture. Make it happen.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad this never actually happened. Can we do it virtually?!

    Also, I'm really glad you started blogging again, you're such a great writer. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete