2/1/11

There are umbrella people and then there are people who get wet

To be honest, I do not think I am qualified to write about this topic. I am that person who, on a rainy day, is frantically running to her car with her coat over her head to keep her hair from getting wet. Yes, I sacrifice my comfort in the cold weather for the composure of my hair (sorry mom) but really? are the people inside going to notice my frizzy-rained-on-hair or are they going to notice that I was cold for the five minutes that it took me to sprint in the rain. That is not the point.

I heard this quote from the partner in my office as we were preparing for the snow and ice storm that was possibly going to leave us out of the office for the day. She meant it as being pleasantly surprised that we were all taking everything home that we needed so for work. She was happy that we were so prepared. I, on the otherhand, was not as much. I was brought back to the days of being a kid praying for the snow/ice to hit so that I could stay home and have a free unexpected vacation on a tuesday.  Who doesn't want to get to stay home without getting introuble and without being sick?

We got our storm. And we had our "umbrellas".

Turns out working from home is not as much fun as I hoped it would be. I spent all day in my sweatpants, but working from home isn't quite the dream I imagined.

1. There is the issue of actually starting to work. I might as well sleep an extra, well deserved hour. I should clean my apartment up because, well, you can't work in a dirty apartment. And I need to set up the perfect work environment (pens, water, coffee, calculator)
2. Asking questions. It is hard to ask questions to someone over the computer. Even from a multimedia generation that grew up having intimate conversations over AOL instant messenger, I find it difficult to ask questions and seek help without my senior at my computer screen and actually seeing the problem.
3. Motivation. How can you work when no one around you is working? Is it possible that I lack that internal motivation to work unless others are? Maybe this is why I studied so much better throughout college while in a library. Moral support.

There are three things I take away from today: (1) I have a new found appreciation for actually working in the office (2) I find myself praying for ice before going to bed... we didn't prepare for two days (3) Maybe it is time that I buy an extra umbrella for my car... couldn't hurt, right?

2 comments:

  1. Wish we could have worked from home! Instead I was slipping and sliding in my biz caj clothes all the way to work. I could have used a pair of ice skates today...

    ReplyDelete