2/15/11

Help! I can't afford a work wardrobe

Work clothes. Those perfectly pressed pants, pencil skirts, and sharp button down that just screams "Screw Kelly Clarkson, I am the new Miss Independent". Sigh.

When I think "work clothes", my mind instantly goes to Banana Republic (my personal love), Ann Taylor Loft, Saks off Fifth, Nordstrom Rack,  and JCrew. These are the ideal work clothes that makes every working girl feel like shes "made it". They are also the safe outfits of choice that you KNOW will fit in with your new job in the office. Heres the problem: ONE pair of trousers will set you back $85 at Banana, and $250 at JCrew. ONE blouse? $70 and $100 respectively. And that just gets you through Monday!

DON'T DO IT GIRLS!

Secrets to Success?
1. Don't think of it as a "Wardrobe". If you are starting a new job, you don't need a whole month's worth of outfits, just enough to make it through the first few days so you can see what the other girls are wearing. Sure would stink to buy tons of jackets and find out that everyone in the office emphasizes the CASUAL of dressy casual.
2. Target and Old Navy? you are looking at your new best friends! Who says you need to buy a cardigan from Loft when you can get the same one from Old Navy for cheaper? Best part is.. no one knows but you.
3. That doesn't mean you can't steal inspiration. Check out JCrew's website. See what is "instyle" for work, and let that help you wade through the "is this okay for work?" questions you are bound to have.
4. Sale shop. You are going to work for years, you can wait until the blouse goes on sale before you buy it.
5. Beware of the Dry Clean Only. This saves you $40 a week! Too late? well try not to make too much of a mess and you can wear your pants more than once.
6. Ask around. Every job is different, every office. Ask what is the normal work attire for the office from a friend who works their. Or read the manual- most companies seem to have the dress code rules laid out. When in doubt? go conservative.

Stretch your money. In the long run, it is better to have a week's worth of clothes instead of just clothes for Monday. (And good luck to Kelly O on her new job- the inspiration for this post!)

What do you think? Ideas? Other tips? Where do you get your work clothes?

3 comments:

  1. I love Banana Republic, too, but I shop only the clearance rack there. I like to get ideas from magazines, then I use Target for trendy things (they usually don't last more than a year or two), and JC Penney. No one has to know.

    A girl that always looks so put-together at work says that her clothes are a collection that she's acquired over the years. She shops at boutiques, and only the clearance rack there. And when she finds a bargain that fits and looks good, she buys it, regardless of whether she needs it right then. She says that she always has something to wear for every occasion, she never has to run out and find a blouse or a skirt or a dress, she has lots of clothes that are classic and always look sharp.

    I am loving not working at a grocery store anymore! My wardrobe has definitely changed for the better.

    Also, it's so important to dress for the job that you want, not the one that you have. I have seen this work many times in the less than 2 years that I've been at my office. It's amazing how that is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though my work clothes are made of 90% spandex, Nike, UA, and Lululemon can definitely put a dent in your wallet! Great post Mal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm fortunate enough now to have a position where I can come to work in sweats and flip flops if I want (and frequently do), but I remember when I first entered the "grown up" work force, feeling clueless and overwhelmed about where to shop and how to dress. I made some serious fashion blunders my first few weeks there.

    I usually check second hand shops when I need something business casual now, because there are a lot of women who wear something once and then never again. I'm also a big fan of shopping online because you can always find it cheaper there.

    Keep posting awesomeness! :-)

    ReplyDelete