2/22/11

Tax Tuesday: Big things come in standard packages

In the real world one size does not fit all. No, I do not care what the label says. That sweater can not possibly fit every girl in this room. Or that scarf? some people want a long one, others want it short. We don't all have the same shoe size. Infact, I don't even have the same shoe size in different brands. But in taxes? see that's a different story. Uncle Sam gave us a standard deduction that is a one-size-fits-all kinda deal.

Think of it like a spending allowance. In highschool my parents decided that my brother and me could spend $10 a week. It doesn't matter if he spent all $10 on breakfast tacos and I bought a new shirt. My parents could figure "eh, the roughly spent $10 each". Uncle Sam figures that we roughly spend $5,700 a year on deductible expenses. (No, he doesn't actually GIVE us the money the way my parents did)

Cool. So we can take the standard deduction of $5,700? Sure! or you can itemize and take the "itemized deduction" instead. I can't actually give you tax advice, but I can give you some facts from the IRS and food for thought from Forbes.

1. The Standard Deduction is not too shabby. Save all your receipts? break a few limbs to increase your medical expense? donate to charities youve never heard of? turns out, you might STILL save more by the standard deduction. 
2. You probably can't deduct your medical expenses anyways. You can only deduct the amount of out of pocket medical expenses OVER 7/5% of your income. So that $80 I spent for my eye exam? not 7.5% of my income. Unless you have a serious illness, you probably wont come close. (don't you dare think "that sucks"- YOU ARE HEALTHY! go skiing or something)
3. How much is your mortgage interest anyways? None if you are like me and live in an apartment. But if you DO own your house? you need to do the math to make sure that you are going to received a bigger deduction than your standard deduction.
4. Charitable Deduction- you might give away your clothes, but I hope you kept the receipt! If you get selected for an IRS audit, you need proof of your charitable deductions. Oh yea, and giving a dollar to the guy on the street corner doesn't count.
5. Miscellaneous Deductions are limited too. (2% of your income) For things like: Tax preparation fees (you should have none if you do them yourself), Safe deposit box fees (count me out), Unreimbursed job related expenses (do my shoes count?... sadly no)

Do I really need to do TWO tax returns and then just take the standard deduction anyways? probably not if you are just out of college, rent, perfectly healthy, and don't even know what a safe deposit box is. BUT I would recommend looking into it (mostly to CMA) and here is a cute little calculator to do it for you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment