3/15/11

Don't Talk to Strangers... usually

Set the stage: defenseless girl, walking home from late yoga class at 9pm. (In a relatively safe neighborhood, but still close to downtown Dallas).

I notice that a guy is following me, but I can't turn around because... well... that would just be weird. And I am in a calm yoga state of mind anyways. He follows me to my apartment complex. I think, "Oh isn't that weird? He lives in my apartment complex." He follows me to my building (we have four in my apartments). "Oh isn't that weird? He lives in my building in my apartment complex." He follows me in. Then follows me to my side of the building (we have two split sides) "Oh isn't that weird? He lives in my side of my building in my apartment complex." He follows me up my staircase (there are three- with 15 apartments in each one) "Oh isn't that weird? He lives in my staircase on my side of the building in my apartment complex."

Then he stops on my floor. (4 apartments total) This is where I FINALLY lose my yoga chia and start to panic.

Turns out he is my neighbor. and he was in my yoga class. and we went to yoga together the next morning.

This is not always the case though. The bigger questions are: Why wasn't I paying attention? Why did I let him follow me in? What should I have done? What would I have done if the stranger had been bad?

What are simple safety tips that every savvy girl should know?
1. Don't panic- at the same time, PAY ATTENTION, unlike me. Using your brain? most important. If you panic while walking from the mall to your car, you wont be able to think clearly and figure out a strategy out.
2. Take a self defense class. Would it hurt to know how to throw a decent punch? Don't have time? Watch a self defense video.
3. Have your cellphone on you. And if you are like my friend Kelly- Have. It. Charged. ;) If its dead, well, you could be too. (thats sick, I know)
4. Carry some Mace. The only place I have seen it is an auto supply shop, but I hear you get get it at walmart too.
5. Park under a lamp post. This makes so much sense but I never actually think about it. And park close to the store, shorter the walk, less time for trouble.
6. If walking? choose larger streets. Even if you same time taking the back road, it just could be worth it.
7. Don't listen to music on your walk. Backstreet Boys will be just as good Back at your apartment and off the Back Streets. That way you can listen for people following you and pay attention to what is going on around you.
8. Don't be afraid to run. This hurts to write... BUT, don't be afraid to kick off those heels and run home/car/etc if needed. You can always buy new shoes (ouch)...
9. Do some online research for more tips. Hey, its cheaper than online shopping. Try My Optum Health. or NYPD's Online Tips.

Or? you can always just get a sexy body guard like Kim Kardashian. But let's be real, who has that in their budget?

Yes, some strangers are just innocent yoga-doing-neighbors. Others? not so flexible and friendly. Don't be afraid, but be aware. (Do as I say, not as I do. Or did.)

Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. *signs up to be mallory's "sexy bodyguard"*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walk/jog in the park every morning after work, and a few days ago, someone was mugged there, in broad daylight. It definitely made me re-think walking alone (my friend goes with me on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but can't Tuesdays and Thursdays). I carry a small knife on my keychain (a swiss army knife), but I dont think I'd be able to get it out quickly enough... not that the inch long blade that has trouble with orange peels would do much damage... I might invest in some mace, though.

    I'm just afraid I'll go all paranoid and mace someone who is just a faster jogger than I am... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat- I just talked to my neighbor on the way back from yoga and told him about this post. We were literally joking about the same thing... what if I actually HAD mace and then turned around and maced him.

    Some good punching moves up into the nose would probably be a safer weapon to use.. and we always have our hands with us.

    In the long run? I don't think we can stop living our lives just out of fear. I vote we walk, run, jog, go shopping even if its dusk.... and just use our brains about the situation.

    Be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I feel like someone's following me (or just ogling you / staring at you / making you feel uncomfortable), I like to do something that's a complete turn-off, like picking my nose. Dramatically, obviously picking my nose. That makes the guy who's staring at me quickly lose interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I was reading this, I kept thinking that you should turn around! I do this all the time and I seriously live in Pleasantville. You CANNOT let your guard down though and your tips are great. I generally walk to the other side of the street, stop to look through my bag, etc. but never walk with ear phones in or talk on the phone. I think you can get a little mace key chain as well, but naturally that would go off in my purse or something and backfire on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suggest that you should always be cautious.
    makati condos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Equip yourself with a pocket knife, just in case you need to protect yourself. It might not be the best self-defense weapon, considering there are portable tasers that could deliver fatal shock, but it could be more effective in close encounters. Take care always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why it's important to check out the neighborhood before moving in. A new place can be a risk if you don't know the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think it's healthy to live in a world where people walking down the street are to dangerous to talk to. I think though we always have to be cautious.

    ReplyDelete