3/2/11

Of Mice and Men

I'll let John Steinbeck tell the story Of Mice and Men. I'll tell the story of Mice and woMen.

I have a friend (Danielle) who lives downstairs in my apartment complex. We were going to get frozen yogurt (typical). I meet her downstairs and did my signature knock (typical). She answered the door (typical).

Danielle: Come inside, I have something I want to show you. (not typical.. and this is where the trouble begins)
Mallory: Do I want to see this?
D: Just come inside.
M: Is it a dead bug?
D: It's not a bug...
M: Is it dead?
D: Yes, well some of them, sorta. Just come look.

NO! Turns out Danielle has mice in her apartment. MICE meaning more than one (I am sure you already knew that, but I added it for emphasis) She had a dead one that she wanted me to see. I NEVER want to see a dead mouse, ESPECIALLY not in the same apartment complex that I live in. I told her that I will be the kind of friend who listens to her work woes or boy troubles, but never one that looks at dead mice.

That being said, what do you do when you have mice in your apartment?
1. Call the apartment complex. If you live in a house? set up your own sticky traps and snap traps.
2. Look for holes that lead outside (this is so obvious sounding... but they have to get in right?) Close your windows or put screens on them.
3. Make sure your garbage can has a tight lid. (this will also keep your apartment/house from smelling bad)
4. Don't leave dirty dishes in the dishwasher- this somehow attracts mice and rats. Don't ask me how they get into there, but I am not asking questions when it comes to rodents.
5. Let your cat/dog/pet snake attack the mice. (ew, but then you have a pet snake.. you might have bigger issues)
6. Try to keep food in the kitchen only. That way there is less of a chance of the mice going anywhere else. And on that note, I'm going to bed for the night. (I really hope I can sleep after this)

I honestly don't think I want to do any more thought or research on this subject. If you want more details? Look online. And if you find anything interesting? please be sure to tell my friend Danielle. I don't want any of her pets making a friendly visit upstairs.

2 comments:

  1. I have a cat, so I don't have a big problem with mice, but when it gets really cold (like it did this winter) I could hear them in the house. I am a lover of all creatures great and small (even disease carrying rodents), so I dont begrudge them shelter in the winter. However, in mild weather, all bets are off and I get humane traps. Or sic the kittehs on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to note that the mice being inside my apartment was not due to me being clean or dirty. They entered through a hole under my patio door! Just had to make sure no one thinks my apartment is like a crack den for rodents or something!

    - Danielle

    ReplyDelete