3/8/11

Is Wishing Overrated?

My birthday is on Thursday. (If you found my blog through facebook, you probably already know that). A girl at work today asked me "So what are you going to wish for?". Two thoughts came to my head: (1) Ummm, aren't you NOT supposed to ask someone that? (2) Holy moses, I have no idea!

I basically spent all of 2010 "wishing" to pass the CPA exam. You think I am kidding? Every eyelash that fell, every time the clock hit 11:11, everytime my necklace clasp fell to the front.... I literally ran outside to wish on the first star I saw each night. (couldn't hurt right?) I quite honestly wished to pass REG On. My. Birthday. Cake. (I can only tell you now since that darn thing is over, I'm pretty sure thats how it works).

But since those dreadful tests ended I can't really think of a true, hope with all your might, wish. Sure, there is the cliche "I hope to win the lottery" but I havn't actually ever bought a ticket. (and I am pretty sure that is the first step)

Is wishing no longer the norm in your 20s? (something better left to elementry school) Did we become too practical and realistic to wish on birthday candles? Am I the only one who still holds my breath when I drive by a cementery? Or has the sudden erge to punch someone when they see a volkswagen?  For the record I WILL wish something on my birthday candles (no wish I MAY, wish I MIGHT... wish I WILL) and I encourage everyone to think of their next wish for 11:11 or when the opportunity arises.

6 comments:

  1. I hold my breath when I pass a cemetery.... but, it's just so I don't breathe in the spirits of dead people and get all kinds of possessed.

    Love you Mal :)
    Bryna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I still make wishes on my birthday and I will fight someone for a wish chip. I don't see any harm in wishing - after all, if we had to be practical, sensible and logical all the time, people would never do things like skydiving, cliff jumping or anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I still hold my breath driving by cemeteries and make wishes but I think your birthday cake for me on my 20th was the last birthday cake I've had and I can't remember if there was a candle to blow out for that...

    Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish away, you're never too old to make a birthday wish. You should totally start punching people when you see volkswagens...that would be hilarious.

    Hope you have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely don't think we are too old to wish! I will always wish on my birthday candles and I hope you will too!!! Love ya crazy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!

    I wish all the time... they never come true, but I keep wishing... so you wish all you want. I hope yours come true!

    ReplyDelete